Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I live in crazy town

So today one might say that I experienced the heaviest steady rainfall yet since I've been here. There was one other time in the rainforest the first week I got here, but that doesn't count, come on it's the rainforest. So, today Kate and I were walking around downtown, eating ice-cream cones(mine fell on the ground within minutes, sadly), watching pigeons and their goofy ways and noticing that the sky looked rather ominous. So ominous in fact that we decided we'd better get a move on back to school before it poured on us. To my delight, though not to Kates', the sky did in fact open up on us on the way home. But, thus far the story told is not the point of my posting, and I'm not gonna get there for another minute. While on the bus on the way home I glanced out the open door(the windows were totally fogged over), and I noticed that apparently part of the road had decided to switch on over and become a little lake. None-the-less of course, our bus driver thought the best route was straight through the mess, and the waves of the water were nearly spilling into the bus as we plowed through(though I'm sure we were actually floating). So the real point is, if after only about 45 minutes of rainfall a lake had formed at a high traffic point, what the heck do these people do during the rainy season. It was as if the gutters had never experienced such a downpour, and this city gets rain every day during the winter. Winter here by the way is between May and November. Traffic jams were forming and the water spilling from tunnels next to the sidewalks were like fountains, shooting upward and beyond. Oh, but speaking of traffic, my bus driver yesterday decided the best way to make a left turn on the busy street was to go ahead and pass the 10 cars in the left turn lane and cut in front of on-coming traffic(might as well have been a U-y) to get around the cars in the left hand turning lane to get to the road he was even aiming at in the first place. This place is crazy. Here's what we looked like(also though I was the only passanger on the bus):

Also though, before you pin me as the crazy one for drawing pictures on my computer of a bus situation, remember that it's Semana Santa this week here, and the whole country including all of my friends and classmates are at the beach. I though, am not allowed to go for healing purposes of my body, so am stuck in my room alone for the next 5 days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YESSSSSSS