Monday, December 03, 2007

Federico Garcia Lorca

So tomorrow I am to give a presentation over a Spanish literary work of my choice, and I chose to examine a poem by Federico Garcia Lorca called "Llagas de Amor." I normally wouldn't make a post about something school related, I suppose with the exception of the post directly below this one, but I really thought that this poem in particular was beautiful. So, if you like this kinda thing, I have posted the spanish version first, and then the translation of it. Be mindful though that my spanish is still somewhat rocky, so don't judge if the translation isn't perfect, just let me know and I will make the proper adjustments. I had trouble translating line 6, if anyone could help that would be great.

LLAGAS DE AMOR

Esta luz, este fuego que devora.
Este paisaje gris que me rodea.
Este dolor por una sola idea.
Esta angustia de cielo, mundo y hora.

Este llanto de sangre que decora
lira sin pulso ya, lúbrica tea.
Este peso del mar que me golpea.
Este alacrán que por mi pecho mora.

Son guirnalda de amor, cama de herido,
donde sin sueño, sueño tu presencia
entre las ruinas de mi pecho hundido.

Y aunque busco la cumbre de prudencia
me da tu corazón valle tendido
con cicuta y pasión de amarga ciencia.

_____________________________________________


SORES OF LOVE

This light, this fire that devours.
This gray landscape surrounding me.
This pain from a single idea.
This anguish from the sky, world and time.

This weeping blood decorates
Already without pulse, lubrica tea.
This weight of the sea that strikes me.
This scorpion dwelling on my breast.

They are the garland of love, bed of hurt,
Where without dream, I dream of your presence
Among the ruins of my collapsed chest.

And even though I seek the summit of prudence
Give me your veiled heart hanging
With hemlock and passion for bitter knowledge.

No comments: