Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Well I've been up river for a few weeks now and I decided it was time to come back into town to check off some errands and buy food. I'm moving into my third and last host family house before I get to live alone in my own pad(finally). Things are going really well in site so far, and work is starting to come along. I started my first classes teaching English to the kids in the school around 3 weeks ago, and last week I began my adult basic English class twice a week. I also offer a class for the more advanced students once a week in order to have exposure the more complex themes of the English language that they normally would not get. I'm learning a lot as I go, but teaching can actually be pretty fun.

Besides that I've spoken with much of my community about various projects and the importance of each. They seem pretty excited about building a water-catch system for the school. Currently the closest running water is around 200 yards downhill, which means in order for the moms who cook the food for the kids to retrieve water to cook with or wash the kids dishes, they have to either haul 5 gallon buckets uphill or take everything down to the spicket and then back up to the school. Also the kids currently do not have any drinking water nor a place to wash their hands. This seems like a good project for lots of reasons. Hopefully while this project is going on we will build a rancho area to make into the kitchen next to the school for the moms to cook at, as well as a place for all of the plates, cups, silverware and food to be stored.

There is a long list of other projects as well that we will be trying to get going, but I need to make sure I don't try and look ahead farther than I can work with right now.
My new paint job! Still missing a few spots...but I'll work up the courage pretty soon.
The back.

My view in the morning from my last host house.
Pretty awesome. The government makes cookies for the kiddies to eat in the school! Yum!
A few weeks back after our Agency Tour in Colon we went and stayed the night in Portobelo. Love that place.

No comments: