Tuesday, March 22, 2011

There's a mystery hen laying her mystery eggs...

About a month ago my good friend in the community, Juan Carlos(or Juanca for short) bestowed upon me my first ever very own baby chickens! The original plan was for just 2 chicks, but at the last minute he added a third younger chick from an entirely different group just for good measure. I was feeling pretty enthusiastic about the prospect of fresh eggs from my own crop, despite the fact I still have a few months to go until they start poppin' 'em out, and so I immediately began building their future egg laying house. The fence to the house came later, and so for about a week or so the nesting boxes were open to any hen that chose to make it her egg laying hideout. Day 2 of the boxes being around, there appeared an egg, but no hen. Day 4, there was a second egg, no hen to be seen. Day 6, egg number 3 appeared. Because there are around 20 hens that frequent the area beneath my house it was impossible to decide who was the mystery hen(or hens) laying their mystery eggs. I also was not sure if the eggs were technically mine or not. On the one hand, they DID lay their eggs in my house, but on the other hand, they were not my hens. What a conundrum. Anyways, two eggs ended up disappearing on their own, and the third i dropped off in a random hens roost at a neighbors house. The area is fenced in and no new eggs will appear until my little ladies are ready.


No comments: